Monday 5 March 2012

Getting In The Swing Of Things

I am promising myself to start updating regularly!

Just received 3 parcels in the post that I'm excited to talk about: a new take on the hot water bottle, a new make up buying website and my first Glossybox!



First up is this fab little guy I got on offer on the Debenhams website.


It's a 'Fuzzy Friend Hottie' that you can also get as a pig or frog. This is, for me at least, a safer and cuter equivalent of a hot water bottle. They are lavender scented and come with a microwavable bag inside that you warm up and put back in to cuddle.

I love it especially as it means I'm less likely to burn myself than if I was using a traditional hot water bottle. The best part is that they are reduced from £20 to £6 and you can use the code SHD1 for free delivery or you can collect instore.

Buyapowa
My second package was my first purchase from the amazing Buyapowa, the OPI Dutch Treats Holland Mini Collection.


If you haven't heard about them before, Buyapowa is a co-buying website selling mainly luxury brand makeup and hair products. How it works is that they have indiviudual items onsale (a co-buy) for a limited time with a limited number of units available. Now the exciting part is that the more people that purchase an item, the lower the price goes until all of the allocation of a product is sold or after its sale time (I think it's 48 hours) has expired.

 The actual product I purchased, the OPI mini set of four nail varnishes cost £8 (£1.50 postage) with an RRP of £12.95. While this doesn't sound too impressive, an example of a live co-buy right now is the Macademia Natural Oil Pro Box Set with an RRP of £95 and a lowest Buyapowa price of £55! Brands I have seen for sale on the site previously include MAC, Nars, Chanel, GHD etc.

I will post again after testing out each one but given that they are OPI nail varnishes I doubt I will be disappointed.

Glossybox
While I've been toying with the idea of subscribing to a beauty blog for a while I finally took the plunge last month as I saw a half price discount code for Glossybox (it has since expired I'm afraid) and took the plunge. It took a while for me receive it as I was away for a few days but 'cheated' and had a look on the Glossybox Facebook page to see what may be in my package. How I wish I hadn't! There were A LOT of complaints about people getting boxes worth considerable less than others. I was quite surprised by these reactions as I only see it as a sampling service for new products and brands I might not have heard of or used normally. I didn't really consider how much the contents were worth, only expecting that the box wasn't filled with everyday drugstore products.

Moving onto the box itself:

I love the box! Sturdy and perfect for keeping products or nail varnish in!


Beautifully wrapped and adding to the whole monthly treat experience
Insert with information about the products
Products I received

According to what others have received, I appear to have a good box as the Becca Beach tint was the most sought after product with an RRP of £20. I'm just glad I didn't get the press on nails as I would never use them, they remind me of being a little girl plus I love spending time deciding which nail varnish to wear.

Box Contents:

Becca Beach Tint in Watermelon- While I would never normally purchase this it will be an interesting one to try. I have only ever used a powder blush before so it's nice to have opportunity to try something different.

Awapuhi Wild Ginger Hair Oil by Paul Mitchell- This is probably my favourite item in the box. My hair is always feeling a bit dry and unloved so any help I can get is great. I'm always trying and buying new products to make it healthier so this is perfect for me. I think they should always have haircare products in  like this one as it's suitable for all regardless of colour or hair type.

Dr Bronner's Lavender Hand Sanitiser- A double win for me. I'm a total germ-a-phobe so this is right up my street as a handbag essential. I also love anything lavender scented so this will get used up fast.

BM Beauty Pre Mineral Eyeshadow- Can't go wrong with an eyeshadow in a neutral grey to suit everyone.

Como Shambhala Invigorate Shower Gel- The only product in my box I'm not very enthused about purely because a shower gel was never really going to excite me. It smells just like one from Lush (either Happy Hippy or Olive Branch) and  contains eucalyptus, geranium, lavender and peppermint oils. This will probably get used next time I go away.

I'm excited to start using all of these products as I normally end up buying products in Boots nearly every week on a whim so hopefully this will curb that habit. After a few uses of each product I'll be posting some reviews up.

I'm really excited for the March Glossybox as it is Harrods affiliated so I'm expecting something amazing! I've ordered an extra one to give to my Mum as part of her Mother's Day present.

Have you tried any of the products mentioned?





No comments:

Post a Comment